2021 REU at West Virginia University
REU Sites are funded by the National Science Foundation. REU Sites provide summer research experiences to undergraduates interested in graduate school and research within their discipline or a related discipline. Selected students complete research at West Virginia University (WVU) for 10 weeks during the summer under the direction of a WVU faculty research mentor and a graduate or post-doctoral mentor.
Participating students receive a stipend and are expected to research full-time (minimum of 40 hours per week for 10 weeks).
REU Program Dates: May 24-July 30, 2021 (10 weeks in duration)
Currently, the 2021 REU Site: Research in Chemistry at West Virginia University is being planned as an onsite program according to schedule. Due to the ongoing circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the ability for an onsite program may change at any time. Please note that WVU may cancel the 2021 REU Site if, in WVU’s sole discretion, the state of the COVID-19 pandemic has not improved sufficiently for WVU to safely hold the program.
Who Can Apply? REU participants must be/have:
- citizens, nationals, or permanent residents of the U.S. or its territories;
- undergraduates enrolled at an institution of higher education (students from community colleges and primarily undergraduate institutions are encouraged to apply);
- college freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors as of the fall 2021 semester;
- majoring in a STEM discipline as defined by the specific REU site (e.g., chemistry/biochemistry majors for the Chemistry REU); and
- grade point average of 2.8 or above in STEM undergraduate coursework.
Students from groups underrepresented within STEM disciplines (e.g., women, underrepresented minorities, students with disabilities, first generation students), veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, and students from socioeconomically depressed regions (e.g., Appalachia) are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, applicants should (i) click on the REU application link; (ii) register for an account (unless applicant already has a WVU Survey Monkey Apply account); (iii) send verification link and verify email account; (iv) skip the eligibility quiz by clicking submit; (v) apply by completing all 5 parts (Mark as Complete) of the application (REU Student Application, REU: Invitation to Self-Identify (optional), Resume Upload, Transcript Upload, and Recommendation Request); and (vi) Review & Submit the application.
Please read the Instructions (click on "Instructions" to the right of "Your tasks") prior to beginning the 2021 REU Student Application.