2023 SURE at WVU
SURE provides a Summer Undergraduate Research Experience for students interested in GRADUATE SCHOOL and research/creative work within their discipline or a related discipline. Selected students complete research at West Virginia University (WVU) for 8 weeks during the summer under the direction of a WVU faculty research mentor and a graduate or post-doctoral mentor.
Participating students receive a stipend and are expected to research full-time (average of 40 hours per week for 8 weeks or 320 hours over 9 weeks). Applicants are encouraged to have already connected with a faculty research mentor upon application to the SURE program.
SURE Program Dates: May 30-July 28, 2023 (eight weeks with one week of vacation built in for participants, but not the first or last week of the program)
Who can Apply? SURE participants must be:
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and its territories;
- undergraduates enrolled at a West Virginia higher education institution or a West Virginia state resident enrolled in an out-of-state college or university;
- college sophomores, juniors, or seniors as of the fall 2023 semester; and
- STEM majors (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) or non-STEM majors. The SURE site has funding to support a few students with majors in social (e.g., archaeology, criminology, economics), behavioral, and cognitive (e.g., psychology) sciences, as well as, students majoring in the humanities, the arts, education, business and other disciplines.
- In addition, NSF KY-WV LSAMP Alliance funding will provide SURE support for additional undergraduate STEM majors who are also from underrepresented populations (e.g., Hispanic, African-American, American Indian, etc.). We especially encourage these students to apply.
To apply, applicants should (i) click on the SURE application link; (ii) register for an account (unless applicant already has a WVU Survey Monkey Apply account); (iii) send verification link and verify email account; (iv) apply by completing all 5 parts (Mark as Complete) of the application (1. SURE Student Application, 2. SURE: Invitation to Self-Identify (optional), 3. Resume Upload, 4. Transcript Upload, and 5. Recommendation Request); and (v) Review & Submit the application.
Please read the Instructions (click on "Instructions" to the right of "Your tasks") prior to beginning the SURE Student Application.